Sunday, January 12, 2014

To train or not to train when sore?

After a work out many individuals experience soreness in the targeted muscle groups otherwise known as DOMS(delayed onset muscle soreness). This soreness leaves many individuals wondering if they should go back to the gym.
I vote yes, you’re going to want to back to the gym and train, BUT the way you train is going to have to be different. The reason why you’re going to want to go back to the gym and train is because you want to train your nervous system to remember and respond to the ranges of motion associated with the exercises that you’re going to need to do later on. What happens is after the acute experience of the soreness goes away (I’ve experienced this myself and have seen it in other people) is that the restricted range of motion becomes chronic. Because of the apprehension in moving into these ranges of motion because of pain, people don’t do it for days or even weeks. Once it comes time to go back to the gym your subconscious becomes apprehensive towards those ranges of motion and then you end up avoiding them. Such can be seen more so in compound movements (squats deadlifts). So, what you don’t want to have happen is an acute response to soreness lead to a chronic deterioration of your ranges of motion. One of the best ways to avoid that is to go to the gym and stretch. What you’re going to want to do is to static stretch into a deep squat, a deep bend or press and hold that stretch. You’re going to want to stretch everything from your legs to your neck. If you have foam roller use a foam roller. The thing is you don’t want to allow that mummified body of yours (due to the soreness) to become a chronic condition. In other words yes, get to the gym and train but do it more so for your nervous system and it WILL also help your muscular tissue recover faster.

3 comments:

  1. I love being sore because it makes me feel accomplished. It makes me believe that the work out I previously did was worth it and that it will benefit to the muscles of my body. Unfortunately, since certain movements hurt to do while being sore, it’s hard to get back in the gym and continue with my workouts. However, I thought this blog post was very motivational and useful because I learned that it is essential to help my muscular tissue recover by stretching, which by the way, feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I train weather i'm sore or not, its doesn't make a deference. I feel like getting the blood moving around helps get over soreness of the muscle group. Yes training might be a little different in the fact that i'm not going to hit that some muscle group again. Very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The popular misconception is that muscle soreness is a direct impact of a good, deep tissue workout. Which it is not, it is a completely separate thing. Even though I say this if I'm not sore the next I feel depressed.. Depressed that I wasted my time at the gym. Then I rationalize to myself that muscle soreness is not an indicator for a good workout. For some odd reason though my shoulders never, ever get sore no matter how hard I work them out (exception for the rear delts)

    ReplyDelete